Tuesday, February 28, 2006

cutting

WHAT I DID TODAY THAT WILL HELP ME BE A better FILMMAKER!

Actually I'm pretty far behind in updating this but here goes:

1. I started editing the script for my horror short. I'm playing with ideas about the timeline. Should I use flashbacks, tell it out of order, tell it straight.

2. I am directing a video project at work. My first professional project. It is draining and not necessarily what I want to do, but I get to sit with an editor for three days this week and talk and learn about story telling. A great opportunity.

UPDATE: I'm getting my creative ass handed to me by my editor. It's amazing the difference between someone who can edit (me) and an EDITOR. I think there are three directors on a film/video project writer, director on set, and editor. I'm learning that I might have some talent at the first two, but I have a lot to learn on the third.

1 comment:

CleggoMyEggo said...

I just wanted to say that a great director gets into the cutting room and is willing to cut content that they have a strong feeling about. John C has done a fantastic job at being able to get over this rough hurdle. Bad directors come in and just make editors push buttons to create their program that looked great in their mind, but need to be reworked in editing in order to make the story work. Good directors soak in what is happening in an edit suite and make decisions that create a good end product. John C falls into the latter catagory.

Love
Road Wife.